About Us
Match Day
Match Reports
1st Team
Reserve Team
Our Sponsor
Social Events
Contact Details

AFC Blues 3 Whiteley FC 4

This second pre-season friendly saw Whiteley FC play AFC Blues showing that the squad assembled over the summer is certainly a strong one.

On a blustery but warm day Whiteley FC had enough players in the squad to field two teams, one in the first half and one in the second half.

The team that went out in the first half started well, although not utilising the center of midfield as much as they could, they instead utilised the wings. With Marv and Paul at the back winning most headers and Leroy breaking down the attacks from the right, Whiteley eased themselves gently into the game.

A few half chances came and went and Whiteley were doing well against a decent passing team. Ten minutes into the game saw Whiteley seize control of a poor clearance. Jas controlled the ball on his chest and from all of 30 yards unleashed a half volley screamer over the keeper and into the net. The keeper didn't even have chance to move to save the shot after Jas had picked his place.

Five minutes later, AFC Blues forced a corner after a strong attack. The ball was lofted in and Whiteley cleared the ball to the edge of the area. Unfortunately, with no-one closing their midfielder down, he floated a ball back over and into the top corner, leaving Dan no chance of getting his hand to the ball.

Whiteley knowing that although AFC Blues deserved the equaliser went on the attack to restore their lead. With some good football being played and the midfield breaking down AFC Blues, Rosie got the goal that Whiteley deserved. With some good work down the left, Rosie received the ball to feet and his back to goal. With a defender on his back, he turned to his right and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the net, again leaving the keeper no chance.

Whiteley new the game was for the taking and after some excellent work from Leroy on the right, he freed up Jas who ran past his man and onwards down the right. Again, about 25-30 yards out, Jas put in an early testing cross aiming for Rosie coming in at the back post. The ball flew over the keepers head and hit the inside of the post and down behind the line, with an AFC Blues defender smashing the ball into the net whilst trying to clear the already given goal.

Everyone felt confident that come half time we were going to be going in leading. Unfortunately, a lapse in concentration saw Whiteley concede a goal. With a free kick to the left of centre, AFC Blues floated the ball in, and, with two of their players left free to run in on goal the striker headed the ball goal wards. Dan made a superb save managing to keep the ball out, but unfortunately the striker managed to toe poke the ball over the line as well as stand on Dan's chest and leaving a lasting impression!

Having had treatment, Dan was ok to carry on, and with only a couple of minutes left, Whiteley managed to win a corner. Jas floated the ball in just in the right place and AFC Blues trying to clear their lines only managed to head the ball into the air. Mo jumped and headed the ball in from close range scoring his second goal in as many games. The whistle blew for half time shortly after that.

The next team went out for the second half and started brightly passing the ball well with Simon breaking up attacks in midfield, Ally creating havoc on the right and Aidan battling well on the left.

It wasn't long before Oz got his first sniff at goal when, after some good work from Simon and Ally down the right saw the ball played into Oz on the edge of the area. Oz, smashed his shot which looked destined for the top corner before just curling outwards and hitting the the top corner side netting. It was a great shot and deserved more.

Whiteley continued to dominate the game and created numerous attacks. Both Ray and Oz had a couple of chances which were well saved by AFC Blue's keeper. Whiteley then forced a corner and, with the ball seemingly cleared, Aidan popped up and smashed a sizzling shot just over the bar.

5 minutes from the end, AFC Blues managed to break quickly and pull a goal back. With Aidan caught slightly out of position, their striker ran onto a long ball and smashed his shot low and into the left hand corner of the net. It was unlucky to concede the goal and whiteley deserved more from that half creating some good chances and playing some decent flowing battling football.

The game ended and Whiteley FC had notched up another win 4-3. Well done to everyone who played, there were some great performances out there from everyone that played a part in the game. Man of the match was a close run thing between Jas, Simon, Ally, Aidan and Leroy. However, man of the match for this game has to go to Jas, not only for his two goals but also his overall contribution to the game. He put in some great crosses, battled very well and scored a sublime goal. Well done Jas.

© Whiteleyvillagefc 2005

web site designed by infoxdesigns