About Us
Match Day
Match Reports
1st Team
Reserve Team
Our Sponsor
Social Events
Contact Details

Whiteley FC 7 Cosham Blues 3

The first cup game for Whiteley FC this season saw them pitched against Cosham Blues, one division higher than them in the league.

With the strongest team available this week the game plan was to play our own game and bounce back from our first league game of the season.

Whiteley FC started the game at frantic pace, winning every ball or every second ball. We dominated in the air, had great communication and passed the ball well. Five minutes into the game with Marv and Kev breaking up their midfield, the ball was played to Aidan. With a surging run down the wing he played the ball accross the ground into DS Jone's feet. Seeing the keeper racing out to close the angle, DS Jones hit the ball first time with the outside of his foot past the goal keeper and into the back of the net. It was the perfect start.

Straight from the kick off Whiteley regained possession of the ball and with some good work from Jas this time, the ball was played into Jonsey who made no mistake from close range, lobbing the advancing keeper. Two nil and 6 minutes gone, you couldnt ask for a better start.

Two minutes later, the ball was played up the wing to Aidan who had made a good run. He played the ball into the box for Rosie who smashed the ball into the back of the net making no mistake.

Three minutes later and the game was sewn up. The ball was again laid out wide to Jas from Marv, he fired in a great cross, only for Cosham to clear the ball. Aidan picked up the ball on the edge of the area and laid it back to Jonsey who shot first time on the turn and, with a slight deflection the ball crashed into the bottom corner leaving the keeper no chance.

Cosham tried desperately to get back into the game and after a few chances that Dan did superbly to keep out, Whiteley FC came out on the attack. The ball was played to Jas on the right and, with a fancy flick he beat his player. He looked up and played a great cross into the box, only for Rosie to head over the bar from close range.

It wasnt long however before Rosie again got on the scoresheet. The ball was played to the right hand side of the penalty area and, running in on goal, he blasted the ball into the back of the net, to see Whiteley go in at half time 5-0 up.

The main aim was to come out for the second half and not get complacent. Easier said than done when you are cruising with a five goal lead. It wasnt long before Cosham decided to try and get back some pride and, with a lapse in concentration at the back, they pulled a goal back. Five minutes later and again, they managed to pull another goal back. Their heads were now up and they were up for the game.

Ten minutes into the second half and the game was put beyond their reach when Kev played a great through ball to DS Jones. Having beaten the offside trap he ran in on the keeper before lofting the ball way over his head from the edge of the area. The ball bounced on the line and into the top corner.

Cosham did get a third to make the score 6-3, but Whiteley, having made three substitutions and with fresh legs on the pitch scored their seventh goal of the game. With some good work from Nial he ran through on goal and smashed the ball in at the near post.

It was an important match to win having had the game against Forest of Bere snatched away from us by a couple of decisions from the ref. The team really played well together and looked like they could have had even more goals. Well done to everyone that played, you all did superbly well, and have set the benchmark for the rest of the season.

Man of the match has to go to DS Jones. This is to reward him for not losing his focus having scored a hatrick, as well as winning most of the balls in the air and finishing his chances. Well done.

© Whiteleyvillagefc 2005

web site designed by infoxdesigns